Sunday, April 24, 2005

Getting Started

So here I am posting my first blog ever without anything really insightful or meaningful to say. As I write, I'm halfway through a call weekend with about one week left at my current job in Wisconsin. My departure is bittersweet. As always, I'm glad to have some time off and a chance to travel. However, I've worked here at this clinic for 12 out of the last 20 months and will miss my co-workers as well as the area. I've really grown to like Wisconsin - all the cheese, brats, pastoral scenery, distinctive and definitive seasons. There are some downsides to the state - higher than average taxation, nutty and occasionally alarming leftism, and a general lack of variety in rural cuisine (all the restaurants have the same menu: hunk of some type of meat - broiled or fried; choice of potato - fried, scalloped, mashed, or baked; iceberg lettuce and cheese salad bar - with additional assorted "cream of salmonella" pre-mixed salads or fruit-trash/cottage cheese salads; and vegetable of the day - i.e. corn.) Traditionally, Friday night is fish fry night with fried cod, fried french fries, fried cheese curds, and a "vegetable" - (corn, not fried.) Somehow my digestive system has learned to cope, though I do attempt to vegie and fiber load on weekends in Madison at Chipotle's or Chin's Asia Fresh. But I digress. The real goal of this blog is to make a better attempt to keep up with friends from home (a difficult undertaking since I only live at home 3-4 weeks out of any given year.) Hopefully I'll have time to update this blog from time to time with all the exciting and wonderful (yeah, right! More like mundane) news from my travels.

3 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, April 24, 2005, Blogger shakedust said...

Sounds like the cuisine in Wisconsin promises to keep you in business. :)

 
At 9:22 AM, April 26, 2005, Blogger Dash said...

Good to hear from you Doc!

By the way, you left something out of your description of those salad bars. They all seem to have chocolate pudding .... and those bad tasting - hard as granite packaged "bread sticks"

 
At 3:58 PM, April 26, 2005, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Glad to have you aboard and looking forward to having a classic Homer's Reunion in a couple of weeks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home