Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Fine Chocolate

About a year ago, I was in the middle of my grand European tour. Some travel Europe sampling wines and beers from the different regions, but for me, it was all about sampling the chocolate (and ice cream/gelato). My favorite cheap chocolate was the Ritter Sport product line - especially the cappuccino chocolate bar. I also enjoyed some of the Milka products. Now back in the US, I find it difficult to obtain European style chocolate - especially in rural areas. Unfortunately, Hershey's just doesn't work for me anymore (too much wax, too little percent cocoa content). However, a short time after arriving in Wisconsin, I made a discovery that has subsequently sustained me. While enjoying the winter scenery after a 10 inch snowfall by driving through the upland hill country west and south of Madison, I came across the old Swiss settlement of New Glarus, WI. What a find! Lots of chalet style architecture, several excellent Swiss style restaurants, and best of all, a cheese and chocolate shop selling imported Swiss chocolates! Of course I had to buy several different kinds with exotic names like Torino Noir "chocolat suisse noir fin fourre creme de noisettes et d'amandes" and Chocobloc Noir by Swiss Delice "fine bittersweet chocolate with almond-honey-nougat." There were a few Ritter Sport bars for nostalgia's sake. By far my favorite was the Frigor Noir bar "Feinste dunkle Schokolade mit Mandel- und Haselnusscremefullung". To chew these chocolates is to destroy the experience. Rather I let each square melt on my tongue like a communion wafer allowing all my senses to exhilarate and then languor in the afterglow. My prescription has been one small square per day as needed. So far I've made the three bars last about two months - no need to rush a good thing.

3 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, April 27, 2005, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

My dad just got back from Italy two days ago and brought back some Lindt chocolates per my request. I will get them tonight and have a taste in honor of the "Doc."

I know what you mean about sampling european chocolate. My last travels in Europe took me through Germany, Swiss, and Austria. We had tastings every night and I know the brands you mentioned. Very good stuff, but I'm still happy with Hershey's.

 
At 8:55 PM, April 29, 2005, Blogger roamingwriter said...

I'm right there with you, doc. There's something about that high butter fat, heavy cocoa content that just can't be matched. Definitely don't chew it...just let it happen. Oh yeah.

 
At 10:31 AM, April 30, 2005, Blogger windarkwingod said...

Thanks alot Doc, while "roaming" was composing her comment to you I was making myself a thick hot chocolate with real milk and cocoa powder. She got up from the computer and saw me indulging in front of the TV and offered for me to share it with her...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home