Cleaning House
For the last week I've been cleaning out my house in preparation for selling it. This has been somewhat more difficult and time consuming than originally thought. The problem is that I seem to attach emotional and sentimental significance to stuff - the old U2 ticket stubs, birthday cards from years ago, OTR posters, a jar full of collected pennies (since junior high), my cassette tape collection, and a lot of other stuff from the last three decades that is worthless but triggers good memories. But what to do with all this stuff? I'm moving and don't have room to store things just for the sake of storing them. Consequently I've been undertaking the somewhat melancholy task of putting these souvenirs of my life into hefty stretchable rip resistant trash bags for deposit in the dumpster. It is time to move on and make some new memories. Besides, that jar of pennies netted me $23.92 at the bank.


4 Comments:
Oh, yeah. I am right there with you. I have alloted myself one giant size rubbermaid container of sentiment to go to my parents basement . But it's quite a task paring it down. Your right, it's not the stuff per se, it's the memories associated with it. Wishing you success on your cleaning journey!
Mrs Dust and I are both packrats. That can only mean that by the time we are seventy we will be like those people you see on magazine shows that are waiste-deep in junk they can't bear to throw out.
Anyways, congratulations on the move and I hope it all goes smoothly for you.
I have a little bit of pack rat in me. I like to put off decisions about throwing away stuff till later. I have a few bins of stuff downstairs that are full of memories.
Me Too! I have all of my shiny baubles and trinkets and even MOVIE ticket stubs if you can believe it. While cleaning all of this out, I realized that NOW was the time to look and remember. So I looked and tossed them into a plastic bag. It was painful, but so far I have not needed an old movie stub for anything.
Post a Comment
<< Home