Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Continental Divide

After my adventures in Colorado, I took a brief assignment in northeastern South Dakota to earn a little money while I was waiting for my credentials to be verified by the hospital where I'm currently working. The assignment was my first with the Indian Health Service, and it kept me very busy with 12 hour days seeing 40+ patients per day. The need of the local population was great and somewhat reminded me of past experiences I've had with medical mission trips. I don't know if I could sustain that kind of work load day in and day out, but I had a lot of fun for the 10 days that I worked there.

While in South Dakota, I took the opportunity to drive up to Fargo, North Dakota to do some shopping. Thus I was able to check off another state on my "been there" list. There are not very many states left for me to see until I've seen all 50. My main memory of North Dakota is how flat it was (relative to its neighbor to the south) and how the flatness seemed to magnify the amount of wind that was always blowing (South Dakota also was very windy). While I enjoy seeing new places, I don't know that I'll plan a visit to North Dakota again. No offense.


While at any particular assignment, I like to take in the local sights. The town I was staying in happened to be very near the continental divide (as seen above). This rather flat area divides the rivers that drain into Hudson Bay from those that drain into the Gulf of Mexico. It doesn't quite compare to the continental divide view from "the Moose", but I had to stop and take a photo anyway.

Other highlights of the area included the Terry Redlin musuem in Watertown. I've seen a few of his paintings and after staying in the region, it was easy to see where he got his inspiration.

Also nearby was the town of Desmet, the site of Laura Ingals' "Little Town on the Prairie" and "The Long Winter". While there were still some drifts of snow around (remains from the one snowfall that had happened that winter almost 4 months ago), most of the snow had melted away. However the cold wind helped me sympathize with the plight of the pioneer 130 years ago.

After my assignment I took a brief ski trip with my cousins (recently moved to KC from California) back to Colorado. It snowed heavily the entire trip and allowed my cousin to experience true powder skiing. What a way to end the winter season. Next I was off to Wisconsin. Important news to come...

8 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, May 01, 2006, Blogger shakedust said...

I used to live in SD, but four hours to the west of where you were. The Dakotas are very similar to western Kansas except that there are more rocky/hilly areas. You can drive a long time without seeing too much.

It's interesting that you were in the eastern part of South Dakota working with Indian Health Service. Most of the Native population is in the western part of the state, though I seem to remember a reservation in the extreme northeast.

 
At 11:59 AM, May 02, 2006, Blogger Doc said...

That would have been where I was working.

 
At 1:21 PM, May 02, 2006, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

What is this important news to come? I am curious.

I had a pretty successful weekend painting. Hopefully this weekend will be just as frutiful. Here's a hint: lots and lots of snow.

My parents are both from SD and I lived there a little bit when I was 3. In Webster.

 
At 9:55 PM, May 03, 2006, Blogger Doc said...

Details in the next blog...

 
At 11:09 AM, May 04, 2006, Blogger windarkwingod said...

What!? What!? What!?

 
At 9:54 AM, May 05, 2006, Blogger shakedust said...

So... are we going to get those details soon? :)

 
At 2:00 PM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Doc said...

Patience. I haven't had time to post yet.

 
At 6:00 AM, May 07, 2006, Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm from SD also. I am really interested in doing medical missions and had never even thought about the reservations and their need for medical attention. I'd love to hear more details sometime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home