Thursday, February 02, 2006

Leaving Littleton

Today I'm leaving Littleton, NH, the town I've been working in for the last 2+ months, but before I go back to KC, I'll be taking a short road trip through upstate New York. Below I've compiled some photos in and around the town of Littleton.

Above is looking across the Ammonoosuc River at downtown. Just above the covered bridge (below the birch tree) Thayer's Inn is visible with its white cupola. This hotel which opened in 1850 served as my home for the past two months. With creaking uneven floors, sagging door frames, and banging radiator heating system, the place had that cozy haunted house feeling. Several Presidents and other Presidential hopefuls have stayed there (it is a convenient photo op for politicians during the New Hampshire primaries). Overall, I loved staying there. It was within walking distance of all sorts of good restaurants including the mill restaurant visible across the river which had a delicious portabello pannini. Another favorite was Porfido's Italian deli across the street which was conveniently open until 11:00 each night.


Littleton is known as the hometown of Eleanor Porter, the author to the book "Pollyanna". The buildings all match that era (at least as depicted in the Disney movie version). Consequently, I had to get the obligate photo of the Pollyanna statue at the library across the street from Thayer's Inn.


Another downtown landmark was Chutter's General Store with its world record candy counter full of penny hard candies. Littleton's downtown was vibrant and walkable with all sorts of great unique stores that easily competed with the Walmart on the outskirts of town. They just didn't try to sell the same things, but rather offered unique or upscale products that one couldn't find at a big box store. I feel that is a much better solution than just trying to block every Walmart from coming into a community.


I was blessed to have plentiful snow while staying in Littleton. The above is a photo of the cemetery I passed everyday on my way to work. The snow clinging to every branch is quite typical of the scenery all around town. Based on my regional road trips, I think that Littleton consistently had the most snow of the entire area (a good attribute for a community in my opinion!)


Here's one last look at the Ammonoosuc River as seen from the covered bridge behind Thayer's Inn. It is always a little sad to leave a good work assignment location. I've really enjoyed New England, but I'm feeling a little homesick for the Midwest (I don't know why). I'll be in KC next week. Hopefully I'll be able to bring some cold weather and snow with me!

2 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, February 02, 2006, Blogger roamingwriter said...

Great pictures - love that pretty snow. We had a scant half inch of snow in Madrid our first morning, gone by afternoon. The rest of the week has been 50 F.

 
At 6:17 PM, February 02, 2006, Blogger shakedust said...

The snow sticks better than in KC. BTW, how long are you going to be out here?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home