Niagra!
After a long break from blogging (and many more miles under my belt), I've found a wireless highspeed internet hotspot near my apartment. Time to catch up on my photo-journal of travel adventures.
At the beginning of February when my time in Littleton, NH came to an end, I took a 4 day road trip through upstate New York. Goal: to see Niagra Falls. As the photo above indicates, it was well worth the drive.
I arrived in Buffalo, NY after dark. Niagra Falls was easy to find - just follow the sound of one fourth of the world's fresh water plummeting several hundred feet onto jagged rocks below.
At night, the Falls are lit by powerful lights that constantly change color combinations. I watched as long as my body could stand the cold (actually a fairly long time.)
Then I walked over to Goat Island in between the Canadian Horseshoe Falls and the American Falls. The air was damp and cool; the path dark and deserted. The water under the bridge churned violently on its rush to the brink. It was as if I had the park to myself. I love exploring famous places minus the annoying crowds. Altogether it was an enjoyable evening.
The next morning I revisited during daylight. The Falls somehow seemed even more spectacular. Above is the view from the American side looking across American Falls and Goat Island to Horseshoe Falls in Canada on the other side of the Niagra River.
Later I walked across the International Peace Bridge to Canada where a direct view of the American Falls could be seen. Looking at the large pile of boulders below, I don't think anyone could survive a trip over the edge in a barrel.
I then walked along the Canadian shore right to the brink of the mighty Horseshoe Falls and peered over the edge (getting completely soaked from the mist in the process.) I think all the successful attempts at going over in a barrel occured here. Still what a ride that would be.



4 Comments:
cool! I think you make a strong case to visit both day and night. Those night shots looked like a show.
Niagra is one of the best tourist spots that I have ever visited, and it sounds like you might agree. You really can't understand the magnitude of the falls until you are standing a couple of feet from the water rushing over the edge.
I didn't really ever get a close-up view of the American Falls. I have been on sides of the Horseshoe falls, though, and on the Maid of the Mist boat below the falls. Spectacular.
I was awestruck during the day but seeing the masses of water under colored light is incredible. I wonder if anyone has ever thought of slipping in the flow and hurtling off the edge using a neon-yellow barrel. It would be like cosmic bowling for daredevils. NIUCE!
The night time shots are incredible. I wish we'd stayed around for a evening viewing. I think the boat would have been fun too...maybe next time. Stayed nearby in a memorable hotel - an old style Methodist campground, only for mediums!!
Post a Comment
<< Home