Thursday, February 02, 2006

Goodbye, New Hampshire

I had downloaded these photos for my blog a while ago, but am now just able to post them. They represent part 2 of my Winter Wonderland photo shoot. Enjoy.

This is a photo of the Presidential Range near Jefferson, NH. What a beautiful blue sky day (a rarity in New England.) The tracks are from a snowmobile.


Here is the covered bridge that leads to Jackson, NH. It is one lane only, and cars must wait their turn to cross.


This is a nice example of the typical New England church. Many of these cute church buildings have been converted to other private uses such as museums, private residences, even nightclubs. In my limited experience here I've noted that church attendance is rare in general and even more rare amongst anyone younger than 50.


Here is a photo of a typical New Hampshire town hall. Every spring, every town in New Hampshire has a town hall meeting during which general business of the community is planned and voted upon. Overall, the system is as close to direct democracy as can be found in the USA.


Here is a typical New England farm house. Most of these homes were either white or red. They often included many additions with resulting infrastructure proving to be quite large. Frequently the home was connected to the barn by way of other additions. In general, new construction of homes is extremely rare. I did not see one modern subdivision such as the type that sprout out of the farm fields all around the Midwest. Most of the homes had to be older than 100 years old. Many were 200-300 years old.


Here is a photo of the famous Mount Washington Hotel. This grand old resort still has a dress code of coat and tie in order to eat in its dining room. It has seen numerous Presidents and dignitaries dating back over 100 years.


Here is a close up of Mount Washington, the highest mountain in New England at 6288 feet. The weather station at its summit has recorded the strongest surface wind gust on earth at 231 mph. The white vertical stripe just to the left represents the cog railway which in summer takes tourists to the summit.


Well that's all. I leave you with the sun setting at Burke Mountain in Vermont. Next its on to Colorado. See you at Homer's.

6 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, February 09, 2006, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

No way! are you going to be at homer's tonight!

 
At 12:19 AM, February 10, 2006, Blogger shakedust said...

It was great having a chance to talk to you tonight! I should have come up with a list of pregnancy questions beforehand to dump on you. :)

 
At 7:25 PM, February 10, 2006, Blogger Dash said...

I love the "typical" NE church and town hall. Why don't they make buildings like that anymore ... I've always been disapointed that AG churches are always so boring ... no stone .. usually no cool spires .. no flying buttresses .. we don't even get stained glass or statues .... oh well.

 
At 9:51 AM, February 15, 2006, Blogger shakedust said...

Mecca isn't boring. I wish it were.

 
At 2:27 AM, March 10, 2006, Blogger windarkwingod said...

Makes me hungry for maple sugar candy. That kind that melts in your mouth just after the sugar crystals infuse your body with maply sweetness. BTW - I'VE been on THAT bridge!!!

 
At 12:38 PM, March 10, 2006, Blogger roamingwriter said...

Great shots! You are always good about taking advantage of your surroundings. I have yet to do that here..But many days lie before me here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home