U2?
This last weekend one of the sport's bars in town hosted an outdoor festival behind their bar. I wouldn't normally be interested in that sort of thing, however one of the bands that they got to play was a U2 cover band called U2Zoo. The cover price was reasonable, so I thought I would go check them out.
What a great find. The band sounded remarkably tight and experienced for a local/regional band. The lead singer sounded fairly close to a young Bono (without the weathered voice). What's more they played from the entire U2 catalog. Many of the songs I hadn't heard before, obviously from some of U2's earliest releases. Their set lasted over 3 and 1/2 hours!
The songs that brought the biggest smile to my face were from 90's U2 - Achtung Baby and Pop. The band didn't have near the polish of a real U2 show (no keyboard/synthesized embellishment or additional tracks on tape to round out the sound), but they did almost a dead on cover of songs like The Fly, Until the End of the World, and Gone - some of my favorites.
I didn't know cover bands were legal until the original band's demise. None the less, it was a night of ear candy that I would go hear again. I'll have to pay attention if the band makes a repeat visit to this region.


5 Comments:
How funny. I'm usually skeptical of "remakes" but once in a while you hear one that is pretty good. Sounds like a good night out.
I love cover bands like the "Red Elvises" - They do Elvis music Russian style. And then there is Dred Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin music reggae style. A 3 and a half hour set would be really NICE!
I would like to see something like that as long as they do the band justice.
Over three hours? That's impressive.
I don't believe I have ever heard a true cover band in concert.
I've never seen a U2 cover band. I think there is one in KC - rattle and hum. My ears would perk too if I heard some u2 tunes. Good find.
Post a Comment
<< Home