Thursday, February 15, 2007

Brooklyn, NY

Just before Christmas this last year I attended a CME in New York City. This allowed me to visit my sister who had just moved from the Upper East Side of Manhattan to Brooklyn. I had never been to Brooklyn before, so it was fun to explore her new neighborhood.

Just down the street from her brownstone is a nice view of the Statue of Liberty out in New York Harbor. There also is a nice view of downtown Manhattan at the southern tip of Manhattan Island. Her neighborhood is filled with intimate and interesting restaurants and stores. The atmosphere, while definitely urban, is much quieter than the Upper East Side. Some dining highlights include: eclectic Mexican food (with a million dollar view from the rooftop) at Alma; and brunch (with escargot and a live ragtime band) at the French bistro Bar Tabac.


Just a short walk away along the Brooklyn Promenade overlooking Manhattan's skyline, we found the wonderful Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. It sits at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge and serves homemade ice cream that I would rank as among the best I have ever tasted. (That is a significant statement considering my credentials as one highly experienced in ice cream consumption.)


Another highlight of the trip was the opportunity to see the documentary "Danielson: A Family Movie, (or Make a Joyful Noise HERE)". This film by JL Aronson was all about Daniel Smith and his quirky performance art band Danielson Famile. There was plenty of footage from Cornerstone Festival back in the mid 1990's. I recall seeing a few of the shows documented. What great nostalgia.

Of course one of the best things about NYC this time of year is the opportunity to soak up "Christmastime in the city." Everywhere the throngs of shoppers, tourists, street performers and gawkers provide ample opportunity for people watching. Holiday displays brighten the streetscape, and people actually do seem more cheerful (By NYC standards). Definitely a good time to visit.

2 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, February 16, 2007, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

I recognize that ice cream shop from a TV show with Rachel Ray, which her reaction to tasting the ice cream was something like "wow" with an "incredible." And then I remember you telling me about that icecream spot the last time we saw you.

I feel like I haven't quite lived yet until I visit NYC.

 
At 11:38 PM, February 16, 2007, Blogger shakedust said...

Yeah, I've heard that you have to go at least once in your lifetime. If we ever do, we'll have to try the ice cream. Shouldn't be too hard to find if it's that close to the Brooklyn Bridge, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home