Saturday, February 10, 2007

Autumn in Wisconsin

After returning from Colorado back in September, I got to experience one of the best things about the Midwest... Autumn. Last year, I spent the fall season in Idaho. There are some nice things about fall in the mountains, but I really missed experiencing a Midwestern fall with all its associated sights, smells, events, and activities.
Wisconsin is especially generous with providing an appropriate backdrop for the season. Yes, there is more to the state than cows, (but since I enjoy all things dairy, a lot of cows is not necessarily a bad thing). This fall I was able to enjoy a local festival almost every weekend I had off. La Crescent's Applefest, Warren's Cranberry Fest, and La Crosse's Oktoberfest all proved enjoyable with lots of local crafts, foods, music, and parades (where people still stand up and remove their hats when the US flag marches by.)


And though not grandiose or majestic like the mountains of Colorado, I enjoy the pastoral beauty that my corner of the state provides. Above is a view from Wildcat Mountain State Park, just one of half a dozen state parks within an hour drive of my house. When I wasn't attending a local festival, I was usually hiking in one of those state parks and enjoying the scenery.


Then there are the many lakes (with water warm enough to swim in during the summer). The water is a particularly beautiful dark hue of blue that matches/reflects the cobalt sky of autumn when the lakes are turning over with the colder temperatures. Dark waters and autumn leaves are a good combination.


Wisconsin is also blessed with one of the most extensive bike trail systems in the country. After retrieving my bike from Colorado, I was able to make use of this trail system. The above photo shows one of the several tunnels on the Elroy-Sparta "rails-to-trails" bike trail. This tunnel is one quarter mile long and requires a flashlight to walk through. Another tunnel on the trail is three quarters of a mile long. If I had enough endurance and time, I could access this trail from a connecting trail 40 miles away that begins one half block from my front door. Maybe I'll make an attempt this next summer.


One of my favorite activities of fall is just getting in the car and exploring the back country roads with my sunroof open and my iPod connected to the stereo. I was able to "just drive" several lazy days away while soaking up the autumn beauty. I was always able to find an apple stand for fresh caramel apples or apple cider if I needed a break. I also found a few small town cafes I could recommend (and some I wouldn't).


A lot of the back roads pass by pristine farms with classic white farmhouses and bright red barns to match the maple trees in their yard. I was able to follow the peak color from north to south over several weekends, thereby extending my "leaf-peeking" season. After missing last year, it felt good to experience autumn in Wisconsin again.

3 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, February 13, 2007, Blogger Achtung BB said...

Wow Wisconsin looks beautiful in the fall. We have lots of hiking and biking around Oregon too, unfortuately it rains nearly every day

 
At 8:56 PM, February 13, 2007, Blogger shakedust said...

There are some times of the year that the Midwest is as beautiful as anywhere else in the country. If you're in the autumn mood, that is perfect scenery.

 
At 8:47 AM, February 16, 2007, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Doc, I am lusting for fall right now. You pretty much captured everything I love about that season.

Baby, it's cold outside.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home