Thursday, February 22, 2007

Falling (Death of A Tree)

For 56 years, she stood in the backyard providing shade in the summer for the deck and shelter in the winter for generations of squirrels. Though gnarled and bent and losing a few fingers each year, she had continued to stretch her arms toward the sky.

Yet in the end she became hard of heart and could not withstand change. Lulled into complacency by the warm December temperatures, she did not think she would have to store her sap back down in the ground. Nine days in a row with temperatures well below zero came as quite a shock.


Her sap froze within her, breaking her very heart. The split was fatal per the tree doctor. "Choose to lose the tree or the garage she is leaning over," he said. After a moment of sad reflection, I realized that I didn't really have a choice.


Four different surgeons were called to evaluate the situation. They all agreed; the case was terminal. I chose the quickest and most efficient surgeon to put her down. Within a week of diagnosis he arrived to begin the morbid procedure.


With skill he began to amputate fingers and then whole arms. I watched as the sky started to open up, letting the bright sun shine on ground that had not been fully kissed by its rays in many years.


He then proceeded to dissect her body in deliberate and efficient cuts. It was almost over now.


With each slice, parts fell to the ground with a sickening thud. The white snow turned brown with her dust.


In the end, 56 years of organized growth and effort to reach the sky were reduced to dust.


Now my yard feels strangely naked and exposed. The squirrels have moved on to their alternate nest. The birds remain hesitant to visit my feeder.


While my tree's final remains wait to be hauled away, I'm already thinking about finding a younger more resilient replacement for her. But I will have to wait a little while longer until spring. Until then I'm not quite through mourning my loss.

3 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, March 02, 2007, Blogger shakedust said...

How poignant. When it's in your yard the loss of a tree is like the loss of a friend. I don't look forward to the day when I must do the same thing.

 
At 3:14 AM, March 03, 2007, Blogger roamingwriter said...

It is sad to lose a big old tree. While I loved them, our neighborhood became menacing when ice or high winds came. I liked seeing the different angles of your house in the fotos. The dissection analogy was almost a little disturbing. Plant something that has beautiful fall colors!!

 
At 6:19 PM, March 05, 2007, Blogger Achtung BB said...

Beautiful and touching story. It must have been a tough decision when it came down to your garage or tree.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home