Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Good Predicament

I managed to procure a 4 day weekend over Memorial Day. The problem is what to do with myself during this expanded hiatus from work. A nice dilemma to have here that is more rare in KC. My list of possibilities is extensive. I've really wanted to return to Mt. Ranier National Park as my last visit was fogged in. Even so, it was one of the most lush and beautiful places I've visited with moss, huge trees, waterfalls, and fields full of overgrown alpine wildflowers. However, it may be too early in the season for the flowers, and there will likely still be significant snowcover. I would also like to return to Mt. St. Helens, also in the region, especially since it has been more active. Or, I could go to Anacortes/Puget Sound/San Juan Islands again - quaint seaside villages, light houses, whale watching, camping on the beach, and sea kayaking. Also I need to go by the mothership REI in Seattle to get some new hiking shoes. Or, I could go camping and hiking in the Mount Baker region around Bellingham - spectacular alpine scenery and great trails but again maybe too early, too much snowcover. I definitely want to return to the Olympic peninsula with its vistas of still untrecked temperate rainforests rising into snowcovered peaks and cascading down into the mighty Pacific Ocean. The evenings this time of year are particularly enjoyable at this latitude as the sun slowly slips nearly horizontally into the curved horizon of the sea, allowing the waves to shimmer and reflect the sunset's warm palette of color often for over 90 minutes until just a pastel aqua remains in the northern sky awaiting the rose colored sunrise. The beach is usually chilly, but a campfire amongst the massive driftwood helps. I could visit Vancouver in BC and drive up to Whistler/Blackcomb - probably still open for skiing. Or I could visit Oregon's Mount Hood where they ski year round on Palmer Glacier. Also in that region is the deeply cut Columbia River Gorge where waterfalls like Multnomah Falls splash 100's of feet down moss covered rock into streams lined with ferns on their way to meet the massive Columbia River. I did enjoy watching the kite boarders and windsurfers do aerials on the river last year. Or I could travel east into the mountains of Northern Idaho near Coeur D'Alene or further into jaw-dropping Glacier National Park in Montana. Canada (only 40 miles away) has infinite mountain ranges, hiking, camping, exploring, and other attractions that I probably don't even know exist. All of these attractions (and again probably more I don't even know about yet) are within a 4-7 hour drive from my home for the summer. I didn't mention the activities closer to home as I'll be tackling them on the more typical 2 day weekend. So what do you think? What should I do this weekend?

6 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, May 26, 2005, Blogger shakedust said...

You don't want my opinion. I am looking forward to sleeping in an getting some XBox time.

 
At 9:02 AM, May 26, 2005, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Did you ever get a chance to explore Seattle? With a few days to kill there is a lot to do in downtown seattle.

Also, if you miss your European travels, I higly recommend Victoria on Vancouver Island. It has the feel of a European city. It is set up pretty easy for you to book a boat and hotel on one bill. There are boats that take off from Seattle straight to Victoria. I think it is about a two hour ride. Outside of Victory is the famous Butchart (sp?) Gardens. I think you would really enjoy that.

Check out:
http://www.victoriaclipper.com/

I think this boat will also go thru the San Juan Islands. You could do a Island hopping tour.

 
At 2:44 PM, May 26, 2005, Blogger windarkwingod said...

Always make the memories!

 
At 5:31 PM, May 26, 2005, Blogger Doc said...

I think I'm going to Vancouver, BC and then on up to Whistler. They still have 1000 feet of verticle open for skiing - spring conditions, but still skiing! Also the drive to get there is fabulous, going right from the ocean up a fjord and into the very lush alpine environment - waterfalls galore. Then I'll drive further into BC to the back side of the Coastal Range and down the Frasier River valley through the gorge at Hell's Gate before returning to the Okanagan River Valley. I think Seattle will wait for a 3 day weekend. I have another 4 day coming up that I would like to do the San Juan's, whale watching, Victoria thing on.

 
At 12:18 PM, May 28, 2005, Blogger shakedust said...

You're going to have to let us know what you decided on when you get back.

 
At 12:33 PM, May 30, 2005, Blogger roamingwriter said...

Half the fun is thinking about the trip sometimes. Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home