California, Here We Come
After seeing several of Oregon's highlights, it was on to the Golden State of California. The parts of California that I visited were quite remote and not at all in line with the crowded stereotype previously held (though I do think I found one of the epicenters of hippiedom).
In addition to the gorgeous scenery, I was thrilled by the abundance of wildlife. I got to see many elk, including a few who were sunbathing on the beach (see above). In fact, the elk were everywhere, almost oblivous to passing cars. I imagine this could be dangerous during the rut. Unfortunately, despite signs warning of their presence around the campsite, I did not get any visits from Yogi's relatives.
Several hikes started from the "elk beach". My favorite was the serene and aptly named Fern Canyon (see above). This damp cool canyon always seemed to have a feeling of mist in the air even though the sun was shining brightly somewhere beyond the shadows. The green walls muffled all sounds other than the trickle of water over smooth stone, allowing the peaceful silence to be interrupted only by the occasional cry of a bird.
It was hard to leave the northern coast of California. The next couple of days would find me driving across the vast inter-mountain basin of Nevada and Utah on my way to more familiar places...


4 Comments:
Please tell me that the date for this post is off. I don't think it has been that long since I last visited.
The horrible thing about getting cut off in mid stream is that there is no good way to stop the stream and hide what you are doing.
Yeah, I drafted this a while ago but didn't get it to post until recently...blame the slow dial-up.
The sad thing is, I was supposed to have had a "scout". I was a little pissed off that they failed to warn me of approaching danger.
Pun intended? :)
Of course. Sorry.
Post a Comment
<< Home