Saturday, June 18, 2005

Man's Best Friend

While housesitting, I've been able to take care of the former resident's dog. It's some sort of sheep dog/Australian shepherd (I'm not sure exactly what breed). She's the same kind of dog that was in the movie "Babe". Her name is "Bob-a-loo" - kind of an I Love Lucy thing I think. She's very well behaved - enough to be off leash on walks. We've been exploring the trail that follows the irrigation ditch across the street almost every evening after work. I've been told to watch out for rattlesnakes but so far haven't seen any. Three nights ago after work we went for a 5 mile hike up to the lookout tower on top of Funk mountain. It was a gorgeous evening with cool temps in the upper 50's, damp air from a recent rain accentuating the scent of pine, and multitudes of blue lupine, black eyed susan's, and dainty white little flowers carpeting the open meadow at the top of the trail. From the top there is a great 270 degree view from the northwest to the east encompassing several rows of mountains some still with snow on top. Conconully lake is visible down the valley occasionally obscured by small patches of fog that hang nearly motionless between the forested slopes below. Anyway, I'm sitting eating my subway toasted sandwich while watching the sunset over the mountains to the northwest (no worries, it will still be dusk for another 90 minutes allowing me to hike back down before it gets dark) when I realize I haven't heard or seen Bob-a-loo for about five minutes. I get up thinking she might be running around the meadow, but Bob-a-loo is nowhere to be seen. I start calling for her, but still no Bob-a-loo. I'm beginning to be a bit nervous. This was the same meadow where I saw a black bear last year, and I've been told there are mountain lions in this area as well. I'm thinking, "Great....now I've got to tell the people I'm housesitting for that I've lost their dog who probably became mountain lion chow!" After several more minutes of yelling, Bob-a-loo came sauntering out of the forest as if it was no big deal and what was all the fuss about anyway. The hike back to the SUV was fortunately uneventful. Overall, I've really enjoyed "having a dog" for the past week. Someday if I ever get settled enough, I'll get one of my own.

4 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, June 18, 2005, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

I am glad you are enjoying your time.

I too would panic at the thought of losing someone elses dog. Good thing she came back.

 
At 9:22 PM, June 18, 2005, Blogger windarkwingod said...

Bears! One time we were at a friends house in Texas. She had a dog named Teddy Bear that was a little chow mix. Our friend went to work and Teddy Bear decided to make a break for it. Our friend lived on a buys street like Metcalf. I was worried. All I had were gym shorts on, running in my barefeet yelling TEDDY BEAR at the top of my lungs. Roamer was smarter and got in the car. Teddy Bear liked car rides so he hopped in after abour a mile....

 
At 6:42 PM, June 19, 2005, Blogger Doc said...

Dar -
Sorry about the loss of Hercule. I wrote this entry before I read your recent blog.

 
At 10:24 PM, June 21, 2005, Blogger roamingwriter said...

We're trying to adjust to missing Hercule. He was a joy. We certainly enjoy visiting with everyone else's dogs too. Glad you got the chance to enjoy one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home