Colorado, My Favorite Home Away From Home
After exploring the giant redwoods of Northern California, it was time to race across the deserts of Nevada and Utah to my place in Colorado. While Nevada and Utah certainly are scenic in their own way, after driving 8 - 10 hours without seeing a single tree, I was ready for a change in scenery. Nevada particularly was fairly redundant with one broad desert valley after another interrupted only by non-descript treeless mountain ranges. I will say, however, that the desert dust helped to create one of the most spectacular sunsets I have ever seen. Unfortunately, traveling 85mph down the interstate (with exits or pull offs occuring only about every half a tank of gas), I was unable to get a photo of this masterful sky painting.
The other thing that struck me was all the casinos in Nevada (also brothels, both of which are legal in the state and openly advertised). I had been driving since 7am and was planning on stopping in Wendover ("Bendover"), Nevada right on the border of Utah (the last town, motels, restaurants, gas station, gambling, etc. before Salt Lake City about 100 miles away). Coming over a mountain ridge around midnight, I was blinded by all the neon lights illuminating the whole valley like the sun. The town was full of large casino/hotels but every room was sold out. The only motel with rooms left was a complete dive that another hotel operator warned me had bed bugs in addition to who knows what else between the sheets (all for the economy price of $125/night). As a large neon cowboy with a neon cigarette dangling from his lips winked his neon eye at me, I decided to drive onto Salt Lake City.
The next morning after not much sleep the night before, I was looking for a drive-thru espresso stand or even a Starbucks before I got out of Salt Lake City, but I quickly found out there are no such things in Mormon dominated Utah. I guess Mormons are not supposed to drink caffeine. ARGH!!! After being in the Pacific Northwest for the last 3 months, I was now having serious withdrawal issues. I pressed onward until finally I was in Colorado. Ahhhh... Trees and blended gourmet espresso drinks.
That night I got re-accustomed to 9,600 feet in my place at the base of Buffalo Mountain (seen above across Dillon Lake). For the next 5 days I got to relax in my home away from home. The weather was gorgeous, cool and crisp. It had been a wet year and the wild flowers were very lush. I spent my days hiking some of my favorite trails or biking around on the extensive interconnecting bike trail system.
The last night of my vacation, I was blessed with a full moon, calm pine scented air, and a sense that all is right if only just for that one moment (see above for the view from my deck). The next morning, I left for KC to prepare for my next work assignment. I may not get another chance for such a spectacular road trip for a while, but then again...


2 Comments:
Yeah, deserts tend to be places where it's nice to visit, but who would want to live there.
I don't know that I would be able to survive in a caffeine-deprived society. I have to get my daily fix.
Finally, that mountain view is spectacular. Also, does the moon seem a little small in that last shot?
That would be interesting to be driving through the desert and then coming upon a glowing neon city full of all sorts of sin.
Post a Comment
<< Home