Thursday, October 20, 2005

Icefields Parkway

After driving through Kootenay National Park in British Columbia, I crossed the continental divide into Banff National Park in Alberta, home of some of the most spectacular mountain scenery I've yet witnessed. Soaring granite cliffs thousands of feet tall hoisted massive glaciers on their broad shoulders occasionally spilling waterfalls into jewel-like turquoise lakes. The following photos obtained while driving the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper are my feeble attempt to document the experience.

Hector Lake (see above) provided a taste of things to come. I like how the mountains look like giant slabs of rock that have been tilted on edge.


Further north I came upon icy Bow Lake (see above). Glaciers seemed to kiss its surface.


Another photo of Bow Lake. Just out of view is the Num-Ti-Jah Lodge which sits on the lake shore. For a price, one can experience the solitude of wilderness while being pampered in mountain lodge luxury.


Next was the jewel like waters of Peyto Lake (see above). The seemingly unnatural blue color comes from the reflection of light off a suspension of flour-like rock in the water. The surrounding glaciers grind down the mountain rock which then is swept into the lake with each summer runoff.


Here is another photo of Peyto Lake looking north down the Mistaya River valley towards Jasper. This was as far north as I've ever been in my life. However it started to snow, so I decided to turn around and head back towards Banff.


On the way back I came across pretty little Herbert Lake (see above) reflecting the continental divide in its clear waters.


Here's another photo of Herbert Lake. It was starting to get dark so I pulled into the nearby famous resort town of Lake Louise and called it a day... and quite a memorable day at that. More to come...

2 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, October 31, 2005, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Wow, that river is an amazing blue color.

So when you go on these trips, what do you do for accomodations? Call ahead or just find something on the way?

 
At 1:39 AM, November 01, 2005, Blogger Doc said...

Usually I do a little research on the internet. Then I make some phone calls. If it is likely to be a busy tourist season then I'll try to make some sort of reservation a day or two in advance. If not, then I just keep my schedule flexible and lodge where I end up at the end of the day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home