Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Kootenay Rockies of British Columbia

My scheduler has been very friendly to me this fall. Latest example - four days off last weekend!!! Initially, I did not know what to do with myself - go to the Pacific Ocean versus Yellowstone versus stay in Idaho. I've already done all those things recently, so I decided to visit Banff and the Canadian Rockies as I haven't been there yet.


The first day I traveled north of Coeur d'Alene towards Canada. The panhandle of Northern Idaho (see above) is not that rugged, but it is definitely beautiful. I got a real sense of autumn as the Tamarack leaves were turning brightly golden amongst the dark forest green of other conifers.

That night, I stayed in Kimberley, British Columbia (see above), otherwise known as the "Bavarian City of the Rockies" complete with a pedestrian only platzl and somewhat bavarian style architecture. I had a good weinersnitzel with fresh mushrooms, asparagus, and swiss cheese, and then stocked up on imported swiss and german chocolates. It was just enough to trigger fond nostalgia of my European adventures last year.

The next day, I followed the Kootenay River valley northward (and upstream) to where it very nearly misses the headwaters of the mighty Columbia River (as seen above). At Canal Flats, BC it looks like the same valley, but the Kootenay River flows south towards the USA and the Columbia River starts and flows north before eventually winding around and emptying into the Pacific Ocean near Portland, OR. There is no ridge between the two rivers. I thought the fact that they flow in opposite directions while in the same valley fairly interesting (though I am easily amused and find all sorts of trivial matters interesting).

I then made my way past several natural hot springs resorts and into Kootenay National Park (see above). The mountains continued to become more rugged and magnificent the further north I traveled. Vast swaths of forest hid all sorts of four-legged denizens. I wanted to see a grizzly bear, but had to be content with moose, elk, and many deer.

I'll end this entry with a photo taken near the border of British Columbia and Alberta (see above) where I'm getting ready to enter Banff National Park (on the Alberta side of the continental divide). More to come...

1 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, October 31, 2005, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

I like that last photo - icey, grey, cold, and very mysterious. It looks like a setting in middle earth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home