So Long, Idaho
I haven't posted in a few weeks as I've been quite busy transitioning between jobs. More details to come. In the meantime, here's a retrospective of my last few weeks in Idaho.
I had a few free weekends which allowed me to do some short regional sightseeing trips. I visited Elk City and then Dixie in the central part of the state. The journey that leads to these literally "end of the road" places contained reminders of pioneer life 100 years ago (as seen above). The town of Dixie in particular was memorable. Lying 2-3 hours from the nearest restaurant or health care facility, the people there by necessity were very independent. Many of the homes were built by their occupants.
The next day, I toured the Lower Salmon River canyon (see above) which was much closer to home at the edge of the Camas Prairie. Cottonwood Butte is seen in the distance at the base of which is the town where I've spent the last few months. The original inhabitants of this land, the Nez Perce Indians, used to winter in this and surrounding river canyons as temperatures there are usually in the 40's and 50's throughout the winter. In the spring they would then migrate up to the prairies (where I've been all fall) to harvest the plentiful camas root. Then in the summer and fall they would migrate over the Bitterroot Mountains to the wide valleys of Montana to hunt buffalo before going back to the canyons in the winter. Of course, the introduction of white settlers to the area and the concept of private land ownership kind of interferred with this lifestyle. Cultural misunderstandings led to some tragic and sad events. Consequently, while I do not approve of gambling, I may hold a sympathetic exception to indian casinos!
On a lighter note, one of Cottonwood's claims to fame is the Dog Bark Park Bed and Breakfast (see above), complete with numerous chain saw created sculptures, dog related gifts, and even a giant hydrant to serve as the restroom facility. Since I stayed in the same town, I never spent money to stay at this B&B, but now I'm wishing I had. The stairs show the entrance (dog's backside).
Here's a photo of my backyard taken during my last couple of weeks in Idaho. The town I stayed in was not significantly bigger than what is pictured. The Camas Prairie is always drier than surrounding mountains. Consequently, the light snow here meant big snow in the mountains so...
...That following weekend, I went skiing at Brundage Mountain in central Idaho near McCall. The snow was incredible (as seen above). Some ungroomed runs had powder up to my knees. I tried to take it easy as it was my first time on the slopes this season. Unfortunately not being familiar with the mountain, I took a wrong turn in the fog and ended up on a gladed black run by myself with powder to above my knees and no evidence that anyone else had gone that way before. As I carefully made my way between increasingly close trees it started to get dark. After much time and difficulty, somehow I made it to a cat walk that led me back to more familiar terrain and other skiers. Note to self: don't ski alone and out of sight from other skiers on unfamiliar terrain.
As I drove to the airport in Spokane, I stopped near the border of Idaho and Washington to look back one last time at the mountains, prairies, and river canyons that had been my home for the last few months. The photo above is of Lewiston, ID and Clarkston, WA at the confluence of the Clearwater and Snake Rivers that Lewis and Clark explored 200 years ago in 1805. While the rest of the country has changed beyond recognition since then, I think that Idaho has changed the least. It has not been hard to imagine their wonder at such a unique place.


4 Comments:
I remember watching a movie on Chief Joseph from the Nez Pierce tribe. His "I will fight no more forever" decision was quite moving.
On a lighter note, isn't entering from the backend of the dog counterintuitive?
Those are amazing pictures.
How was Macy's parade? Where did you sit/stand?
A beagle!
Nice pictures again.
I am looking forward to hearing about New Hampshire and seeing those pictures.
Did you know all this history already or did you read about it while you were there?
I read about it while I was there. I didn't know much at all about Idaho before I visited.
Post a Comment
<< Home