Thursday, December 01, 2005

Here, There, Everywhere

Thanksgiving week 2005 was filled with transition as I traveled from the West Coast to the East Coast with a couple of stops in between to see family in two different places (and see U2). In order to move my belongings from Idaho to New Hampshire (site of my next job), I had to mail two large boxes of stuff as there just was not enough room to take what remains of my possessions on the airplane. Still it is somewhat gratifying to know how much I've simplified over the last 2-3 years. Owning fewer possessions does make it easier as I generally have a major move every few months. In addition to all this moving across the country, I was finally able to sell my house in Lees Summit with the transaction closing right in the middle of my travels. With all this crazy activity going on, I almost didn't have time to go skiing.... Right.

My first stop was Colorado where I spent some time with my Mom and Dad, sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew. The snow was the best in three decades for this early in the season, and Copper Mountain was as good as it is in midseason. The view from on top (as seen above) remains one of my sentimental favorites.


Each morning I watched the fog lift off the as of yet unfrozen surface of Dillon Lake (as seen above with Keystone ski slopes and the Continental Divide in the distance), and waited for the resident fox to go scampering across the parking lot in search of daily sustenance. Then it was off to the slopes to take a few runs with my brother-in-law. When we got tired (unfortunately way too easily) we would go watch my 6 year old nephew take his first ever ski lessons and share his excitement at making it down the bunny slope without falling. His progress was somewhat slow, but still I'm thrilled with anticipation about his potential. If only I had started when I was that young.
On the last morning as I was preparing to depart for the airport, I sat one last time (for now) and watched the birds make breakfast of the saltine crackers my Mom had placed temptingly on the deck (see above). The fragrance of pines was heavy in the morning stillness with only the sound of birds eating the crumbs from our table. I was almost stuck in a moment, my heart full of love and peace, but it was time to be already gone and on my way to...


...The City of Blinding Lights, NYC! (as seen above). I arrived just in time to make it to the last U2 concert at Madison Square Garden on their Vertigo tour this year. However I now wish I had been a little late. The opening act, Patty Smith, was atrocious. With an unpleasant voice she snarled diatribes against the government, God, and traditional morality over a background of uninspired stale "music?" from at least 2-3 decades ago. As she cursed out the gathering crowd (several times calling us "M-F-ers"), I almost felt sorry for her. She seemed like a bitter old hippie who just couldn't leave the 60's behind. The only time I applauded was when she left the stage. U2 of course was an entirely different act with an entirely different (and uplifting) spirit. Overall, the show was not as focused or "on theme" as the Elevation tour and did not flow quite as seamlessly. Momentum was tripped up a couple of times with awkward song transitions. However there did seem to be some increased improvisation with the set list with a few unexpected goodies like MLK. And who can deny the forever goosebump inducing power of those opening notes to Where the Streets Have No Names. I do feel cheated though by the substitution of "We all Shine On" - a duet with that downer Patty Smith instead of the usual Yahweh/40 ending. I really wanted to go out with praise to God but instead got Ms. Smith rambling on about some new age flame that dwells in all of us. Major disappointment. I'll have to buy the DVD to see how the show was really supposed to end.


The rest of my time in NYC (above) was spent enjoying the unique urban lifestyle of sightseeing, shopping, and dining out - all while utilizing mass transit to get around. My sister, brother-in-law, and I went out to the best Chinese restaurant on the upper east side for Thanksgiving and had Peking Duck (think "A Christmas Story" after the dogs ate the family turkey). It was mighty tasty good. After spending the last 3 months in a town of 900 people, I did experience some culture shock with crowds everywhere, but getting to eat Korean barbecue, New York style pizza, old world bagels, authentic Chinese, old school Italian, and sushi in the space of 3 days helped to smooth over the transition. I also got the best (and most expensive) haircut I've ever had. It's true, NYC is like no other place in the USA.

By the time I flew into New Hampshire, it had appropriately started to snow. Driving up to the White Mountains in the northern part of the state through increasingly deep snow that draped every branch of every tree, I realized I had just experienced some of the best benefits of my job. I really do enjoy travel with all its variety. There are bad times, but for now I'm enjoying the ride.

3 Comments:

At 4:41 AM, December 02, 2005, Blogger windarkwingod said...

Face it - you are a NOMAD.. once you admit this, it is easier to become a missionary.

 
At 5:42 PM, December 04, 2005, Blogger shakedust said...

CO to NY to NH? Talk about culture shock.

 
At 12:29 PM, December 07, 2005, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Hey, I caught your suttle hint of U2 song titles in this post.

It was nice to see picture of the surrounding to your somewhat permanent home of residence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home