Looking Forward
After a horrendous weekend of stress and sleep deprivation a week ago (I was on call), this weekend allowed me to relax, sleep, and get emotionally ready for my next work week. After sleeping for 10+ hours each night, I took a few short but scenic drives close to home.
The change of the seasons has definitely arrived. Here in the northwest, that means cloudy skies with a chance of rain every day. Only it hasn't been a complete washout; even on the wettest days, it still just sprinkles or mists. All this light precipitation here is starting to accumulate snow in the surrounding mountains.
This of course triggers happy thoughts of the ski season ahead. I've already been scheming up two ski trips to Colorado. I'll have to see what further diversions my schedule will allow. I've also been able to procure quite a few steeply discounted lift tickets to Copper Mountain, my favorite ski resort. Additionally, I've signed up for the Colorado Gems card which gives some decent discounts at some of the smaller ski areas like Ski Cooper, Monarch, A-Basin, and Loveland.
I'm particularly looking forward to this Thanksgiving when my sister's family will be visiting me in Colorado. My nephew is about 6 and a half years old, and this will be his first exposure to skiing. I'm sure he'll pick it up very quickly and in 2 years will probably be skiing circles around me. What fun!
Until then I only have a few more weeks to enjoy the American West. My next assignment takes me to New England (new territory for me). One of these days, I will get back to KC though it may not be until spring. In the meantime, enjoy some barbecue for me.


10 Comments:
I am really starting to look forward to the february ski trip.
I know you have been wanting to know some numbers for lift tickets and I have a little crew coming.
1. My dad (if we can go over president's day weekend.)
2. My bro-in-law (never been skiing or to the rockies)
3. His twin brother (same)
4. My Cousin-in-law
5. Me
It's my family but they are all fun.
Call me.
With Daylight Savings, you got an extra hour--hopefully you were able to use it for sleep.
New England should be good. Are you planning on focusing on one area or kind of going all over the place?
What keeps you on the move? I've heard of traveling nurses, but not doctors?
FYI, Forrest's cousin-in-law has never been to the rockies or skiing either. I hope you're a good teacher, I need him back in one piece!
hopefully the brazillians and Magrelo will take ski lessons - the lessons will do wonders.
White Mountains... Cool! Wait till you se the color on the trees. The White Mountains are why the word FALL was invented....!
I love New England. Cold rocky beaches. Wicked accents. Fun!
Snow has begun to fall in the mountains here and we heard skiing is only a few hours from where we are. maybe we'll try over Christmas or something.
We will miss the trek to Colorado in March though! Maybe you'll be coming here by then!
Doc,
check out my new pics on my post... finally...
I am a friend of forrest from KU area (Vernal and Forrest and my wife and I went to school together). What's Idaho like? I am very interested in learning more. I have an interest in the Boise or Pocatella (spelling?) area, but mainly the whole state. Any general thoughts? Sounds like fun in CO. Isn't there decent skiing in Idaho as well?
DWhitey,
I don't know as much about Boise or Pocatello as I was in the Panhandle part of the state up north. I do know that Boise is growing rapidly. When I drove through there, its suburbs looked like suburbs anywhere else. Pocatello is down in the Mormon corner of the state and I think is more closely aligned to Salt Lake City than to Boise. Both places have a desert climate with hot dry summers (literally no rain during July and August and little rain other times of the year). Like Kansas, it snows in winter but melts in a few days. Both have ski resorts in the mountains nearby.
Post a Comment
<< Home