Lake Louise, Yoho Park, and Johnston Canyon
After a magnificent day exploring the Icefields Parkway of Banff National Park, I stayed overnight in the famous resort community of Lake Louise. The following morning dawned gray with the wind spitting flurries of snow.
The splendor of Lake Louise (see above) was not entirely appreciated due to the low clouds obstructing Victoria glacier at its end, however the elegant Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise sitting on its shores did not fail to impress. I enjoyed a hot cocoa while browsing through the eclectic shops within the hotel.
Soon enough the weather improved, and I made my way west across the continental divide into Yoho National Park back in British Columbia. Emerald Lake (see above) was a highlight with its reflective clear waters. From the lake I took a short hike to a nearby waterfall and enjoyed the peaceful solitude of forest and rushing water.
I was so taken with the area that I decided to buy the above vacation home (actually I could only afford the photo, but its pretty nice, eh? You betcha!)
Next I drove back into Alberta and explored the intriguingly lush Johnston Canyon (see above). The trail leading up the canyon to a waterfall consisted of ledges and elevated bridges built into the moss covered rock walls. The waterfall itself had a cave next to it which led behind the spray. It seemed like a good place to hide treasure.
From Johnston Canyon I traveled down the Bow River Parkway towards the actual town of Banff. Wildlife sightings included a trophy elk with enormous antlers as well as several deer. Unfortunately I never saw a bear, but pure white mountain goats were spotted high on the cliffs of Castle Mountain and the Sawback Range.
As I pulled into Banff around dusk, the abruptly sloping hulk of Rundle Mountain (see above) came into view. Its striking appearance became one of my favorites. After taking it all in, I was able to find Thai food in town and after procuring ice cream went to bed contented. More to come...


3 Comments:
The last picture from dusk is pretty eerie. Did you run that through a filter of some sort, or was the mountain at that time naturally that color?
No special effects. Just the cool lighting of dusk.
Doc, you are taking really good picture!
Please buy that vaction house, I so want to visit.
I now see how lame my hike through the shawnee mission park trails with goose was compared to the waterfalls and caves.
Post a Comment
<< Home