Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Let The Ski Season Begin!

A little over a week ago, I was able to inaugurate my own 2006-2007 ski season with a quick weekend trip to Colorado and "the Moose". I managed to persuade one of my uncles and a cousin to be my ski partners for the weekend. We had a great time.



As can be seen in the photos, the weather was phenomenal. Sunny skies with highs in the low 30's and light wind.


The snow was buttery soft and quite plentiful for this early in the season. Most of Copper Mountain (at least the terrain that my skis could navigate) was already open.


I explored some new (to me) terrain and was rewarded with the above view. The photo was obtained at over 12,000 feet elevation. From this height, I could see a nearly 360 degree panorama of mountain peaks and ridges laden heavy with pillow soft snow.


The last day, it snowed a few inches allowing for some really nice powder skiing (as demonstrated above by my uncle). The only negative of the whole weekend was that my flight was delayed significantly on the way out to Colorado, so I missed my first day on the slopes. However, the extra rest helped me to avoid any significant altitude sickness. Until my next trip in January, I'll have to be satisfied with taking a few runs on the local ski hill here in Wisconsin. Overall, what a great way to start the season.

5 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, December 22, 2006, Blogger shakedust said...

Nice pics! Colorado is beautiful.

 
At 4:37 PM, January 03, 2007, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Oh, yummy! I wish I could be joining you this year in February, but Italy is calling.

 
At 8:54 AM, January 24, 2007, Blogger shakedust said...

Your pictures have made me think of something. I love all the pictues except the last one and I think it's because the last one is the one that has a dusk or overcast feel. I am starting to think that my opinions about winter are influenced by the amount of "grey day" weather.

It's interesting to me at least.

 
At 9:56 AM, February 05, 2007, Blogger windarkwingod said...

I got a ski helmet for Christmas. I did get to ski at an indoor mall here (Xanadu) in Madrid last summer. All of the "kewl" snowboarders payed 15 Euros to sit on their latin-speaking fannies at the top of the bunny slope trying to figure out the right pose...

 
At 2:24 PM, February 08, 2007, Blogger roamingwriter said...

We are going to the mountains for Presidents day weekend to ski Espana. We'll see how it goes. It's only an hour away from home but it just started snowing in the mountains a few weeks ago due to an unusual winter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home