Christmastime In The City
Well I just got back from NYC where I attended a work related conference. I always love going to the The City during the holiday season. Everything is always so festive and bustling. I enjoy looking at the holiday storefronts and watching the ice skaters at Rockefeller Center (below).
Otherwise I enjoy trying new ethnic restaurants. This year's dining adventures included a Peruvian restaurant (fabulous sea bass with cilantro and pesto), a vegan cafe (braised saiten and vegetable nori rolls), and a middle-eastern restaurant (lamb kabobs). Then there is the usual quick food of NY style pizza, curry chicken and rice from a cart, or a bagel sandwich eaten on the run and somehow always tasting better than what I can get back home.
Fortunately there was plenty of walking to offset the caloric intake. I really enjoyed just walking around. The City is well designed for pedestrian travel, and it shows... You will not find very many people who are significantly overweight in NYC. Other cities should learn to encourage more walking through proper planning of new development. It seems to me that most new development actually discourages walking. What a shame.
Anyway, Merry Christmas to all. Love, Joy, and Peace in 2008.


4 Comments:
All that food sounds good.
I've never been to New York City, but I think if I went I would enjoy Central Park as much as anything. The idea of taking a stroll through nature while still in the city sounds cool.
I've always wanted to NY, especially in X-mas time. Portland has got a number of ethnic restaurants too. We also have a number of nature parks in the city. We are more bicycle friendly than walking friendly.
Merry Christmas!
Does walking back to the "buffet" count?
food sounds good- I ate gelato in Italy about 5 times in 50 hours or so in the city!! Didn't quite walk enough to keep it all off. Now I've got to get that and Christmas off!
Post a Comment
<< Home