Monday, December 31, 2007

A Colorful White Christmas

This year winter has been good to Wisconsin. After a few years of poor early season snow conditions, December 2007 has been very kind by offering up over two feet of snow just this month. When I traveled to KC for the Christmas holiday, I was expecting to have the usual "brown" Christmas, but I was pleasantly surprised. Instead there was enough snow to enjoy sledding with my niece and nephew. Good times were had by all. I love a white Christmas.

The following photos display some of the holiday season in La Crosse... Enjoy!

There is something about snow that makes Christmas lights more attractive. The above photo is of my own Christmas lights that greet me every night when I get home from work. I've enjoyed them so much that I hate to take them down after the holiday season is over.

Here's a reminder of what 1-2 feet of snow on the ground looks like. I enjoy driving down the streets which have turned into mini snow canyons.

Every year the Rotary club turns the park on the Mississippi riverfront into a Christmas wonderland. This year was especially beautiful with all the snow to magnify the lights effects.

In addition to warming igloos with heaters and hot cocoa, there was also "Santa's House" complete with 8 live reindeer to be petted and fed. Each night different schools and organizations would perform Christmas carols and other entertainment. While I could just drive through the display, I preferred to get out and stroll the different pathways with a nice cup of hot cocoa listening to the Christmas music. Altogether, a very nice holiday tradition.

Well I hope all my friends now scattered here and there had a wonderful Christmas. I'm off to watch the fireworks over the bluffs ring in the new year. Here's to a blessed 2008. Happy New Year!




4 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, January 02, 2008, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

I'm sorry I did not get a chance to get together with you. My Grandma passed away, so we had an unexpected trip up to South Dakota, which kinda altered a lot of our Christmas plans.

 
At 8:59 PM, January 02, 2008, Blogger shakedust said...

I love the lights in winter. The lights on the tree under the snow are especially cool.

That said, I am glad that you are getting all that snow and not me. :D

======

Forrest, I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. This must be the worst time of year to lose a member of the family.

 
At 7:56 PM, January 03, 2008, Blogger Achtung BB said...

We started to have some snow in south eastern Portland on X-mas day, but it quickly turned to rain (go figure). Parts of the city that are higher in evaluation got some snow that stayed around a while.

 
At 2:44 PM, January 28, 2008, Blogger roamingwriter said...

Nice celebration photos. Looks fun and wintery. Sorry we missed you at Christmas in KC. You'll just have to come over here. We sort of missed all the Christmas lights here by going back to KC early and then I was sick so we didn't go downtown when we got back. I sort of felt disappointed about that - but the pro is I got to see the Plaza.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home