Each year I try to ski at least one day at Vail. The terrain is really unmatched anywhere else in the lower 48 states. However, the subsequent crowds are a turnoff. This year's venture went a little better than last year's.

Vail is so beautiful with views of the jagged Gore Range to the northeast (as above). However just getting to the slopes takes so much effort that I always have mixed feelings about skiing there. This year I went on a Friday hoping that the crowds (and lack of parking) would be easier to negotiate than last year's Saturday effort. Unfortunately, the Denver school system was off that day leading to fairly hefty crowds. It was better than last year though, and I was able to find parking much quicker.

The lift lines were extremely long and slow on the front side (up to 20 minutes), so I made my escape to the famous back bowls (as seen above). The snow was a few days old but still soft. In the distance I could see the 14,000+ foot Mount of the Holy Cross (the peak to the left in the above photo) with its associated roadless wilderness area.

I then explored the new to me Blue Sky Basin portion of Vail across the valley from the back bowls. Above is a particularly gnarly section of trail in Blue Sky Basin. The back bowls are seen across the valley. Though bumpy, the trail wasn't steep and the snow was soft... overall not too bad.

Here is one last look from near the top of Blue Sky Basin to the north over the back bowls to the distant Gore Range. Vail really is huge and covers a lot of territory. I did not even get close to skiing all the parts I wanted to. I guess I'll have to suffer the crowds and make another attempt next year.
1 Comments:
For the crowds it sounds like you had to fight, it looks like you found some nice solitary spots. The place must be big.
Post a Comment
<< Home