Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Winter in the Rockies 2007-2008: Breckenridge

One of the pleasant surprises of my winter was re-discovering Breckenridge. I usually attend a conference in Breckenridge each year. Consequently, I ski Breckenridge one or two days a year, but it hasn't been my favorite area. In the past I have stayed on the lower portions of the mountain where the runs are groomed immaculately. Problem is, this tends to get a little boring with all the runs feeling somewhat the same.

Here I am on top of Peak 10 looking down on all the groomed runs going towards the town of Breckenridge. Keystone resort can be seen in the distance across the broad Blue River valley. The weather was great (again) if not a little windy, and I was having a good time letting my skis carve lazy S - turns down the mountain.

...But the wild side of Breckenridge was calling. As I was on top of Peak 9 (see above), I could see the new Imperial lift going up to the top of Peak 8 in the distance. This lift is the highest lift in North America. I just knew the view would be spectacular if I could get there. There was just one small hindrance; my trail map told me that the only way down from the top of the Imperial lift was by way of double black diamond runs.

I decided to try it anyway. Above is the Imperial Lift as it traverses the above timberline bowls at the top of Breckenridge. The view kept getting more awe inspiring the higher I went.

Finally I was at the top (see above). It was incredibly windy, but the scenery was better than imagined. This photo is looking down the spine of the Ten Mile Range towards Lake Dillon to the north. To the left of the Ten Mile Range is the canyon that carries I-70 towards Copper Mountain. To the right lies the rest of Breckenridge Ski Resort and the Blue River valley.

Here's another photo from the top. Behind me (into the sun so the photo didn't turn out so great) I could see all the way to Pike's Peak about 100 miles away. I had to linger soaking it all in.

Eventually I had to start down. I took one last look (above) over the top of the Ten Mile Range to the jagged Gore Range to the northwest (home of the Eagle's Nest Wilderness and Moose Lodge). Then I skied down, not very gracefully, but I think I did better than some of the other people who had ventured up to the top of Peak 8. Fortunately the snow was fairly fresh and deep, and the bumps were not well defined yet. It was actually fun.

As I finished out my day on tamer portions of the mountain, I took a T-bar lift up to the top of Peak 7. Going up was much more difficult than coming back down. That was the closest I came to falling all day. If I must utilize a surface lift, I think I prefer the pommel horse at the top of Copper. Still the view from the top (seen above) with deepening shadows spilling down into the valley made me happy that I had put forth the effort. After this trip, Breckenridge moved up my list of favorite places to ski.

3 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, April 16, 2008, Blogger Achtung BB said...

Never made it to Breckenridge. The views do look pretty spectacular.

 
At 3:07 PM, April 16, 2008, Blogger roamingwriter said...

Wish we could have made the trip with you this year -- we'll be home next summer. Double black sounds bad to me but I'd rather do a double black with care than ever try another rope pull lift! Are they trying to kill the people on the bunny slopes??

 
At 3:12 PM, April 16, 2008, Blogger shakedust said...

Beautiful views... it is cool to be able to see so far into the distance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home