Friday, April 25, 2008

Spring?

La Crosse has just about finished up one of its best winters in many years. This last week, the temperatures finally hit 70 degrees. Could this be a sign of Spring?

The above photo was taken in late February at the height of the snow pack. The snow pile from shoveling the driveway just right in front of my garage was almost as high as the roof.

The official snowfall total for the 2007-2008 winter season was 67.4 inches. I quit shoveling the entirety of my deck. It was getting pointless, as the more I shoveled, the more it seemed to snow. Indeed, my backyard was completely snow covered from Thanksgiving to the week after Easter.

However, with this last week of warmer weather, I think the region may have turned the corner. The last bits of snow on north facing hills finally melted away about a week ago. Then my amaryllis revived somehow and sent up a warning shot of color to announce the approach of spring.

And now multiple migratory birds are dining at my bird feeders. It all seems promising... But alas, the forecast calls for more snow tonight. It seems spring may be put on hold for a few more days.

4 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, April 26, 2008, Blogger shakedust said...

Yeah, even in KC this was a more wintery winter than usual. I love it when the migrant birds start arriving from their winter homes. It's one of the first real signs of spring.

 
At 1:21 PM, April 28, 2008, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

I am hoping we get to '70's this week. It feels like we are about to turn the corner and then we get another blast of cold.

Wow. YOu really have to shovel there. Usually I can get away with not shovelling because it'll melt in a few days.

Christmas time must be nice up there.

I need to give you a call.

 
At 12:01 PM, April 29, 2008, Blogger Achtung BB said...

We keep turning the corner and then turning back again. This last weekend, we were in the 70's with sun. Now we are back into the 50's with rain. Typically for around here.

 
At 2:24 PM, April 29, 2008, Blogger roamingwriter said...

I miss the occasional snow but not the quantities you get! oh my. We are spring here with bursts of summer and less frequent bursts of cool rain. It may be a really hot summer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home