Saturday, April 19, 2008

Winter in the Rockies 2007-2008: Copper Mountain

Despite all the other ski experiences I was able enjoy this past year, Copper Mountain remains my favorite Colorado ski resort. Luckily, I was able to ski Copper several times this last winter.



The views from Copper never fail to impress. The above photo is taken from the top of Copper's back bowls looking toward the back of Breckenridge.



This next photo was taken from the top of the Mountain Chief lift. In the distance is Jacques Peak and acres of wide open above timberline bowl skiing.


The terrain at Copper is divided naturally from the easiest runs on the west side to the hardest runs on the east side. Many runs descend unbroken from top to bottom over 2000+ feet of elevation. Above is the very long and very steep Triple Treat run down the east side under the Alpine lift. I'm about half way down at the location of this photo. Yay for leg burning runs that I can feel for days thereafter... a nice souvenir.


Above is a photo of another perfect Colorado day... nice fresh snow, brilliant sunshine, pleasant temperatures, and no wind. Days like these keep me coming back.


My last trip of the season occurred about 2 weeks ago. The snow was still incredible, as good as mid-season. All the major resorts closed this last weekend, despite a fresh dumping of 1-2 feet of powdery snow. Go figure. So until next season, I'll have to make do with these photos.

2 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, April 25, 2008, Blogger Achtung BB said...

Those are impressive pictures. there is no other place on Earth like Colorado.

 
At 1:26 PM, April 28, 2008, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Oh gosh, I'm in awe. I want to go skiing with you again sometime soon.

I can't wait till I can take my boys. It'll be too much fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home