I was able to ski Keystone a couple of times this last year. Generally, I like Keystone. It is fairly easy to park and get to the slopes, though it does require walking quite a distance (not as far as Vail). Plus it offers night skiing. This is a great bonus after daylight savings begins as all the other resorts still close at 4pm even though there may still be 3 hours of bright daylight left. At Keystone, one can enjoy that extended afternoon and still make it home by dusk.

The above photo was taken on a snowy overcast day. I love skiing in these conditions. I don't have to worry so much about keeping every exposed surface lathered in greasy sunblock. Plus the snow was fresh and soft all day.

The next day was equally great. About 8 inches of snow had fallen overnight and the following morning was sunny without a whisper of wind. The photo above is taken from Keystone's Outback mountain looking west towards Breckenridge.

The above photo was taken from Keystone's North Face mountain looking toward Lake Dillon to the northwest. I was enjoying my morning so much that I didn't get off the mountain in time to make my flight home. (Stop and go traffic and road construction delays of about 1-2 hours coming down from the mountains on I-70 also didn't help).

Here's a photo from Keystone itself looking across Lake Dillon toward Buffalo Mountain and "the Moose". For nostalgia's sake, this has always been one of my favorite vistas. Keystone was the first Colorado resort I ever skied. It was the first place I got altitude sickness. It was the first place I threw up as an adult in public (due to said altitude sickness). Ah, good memories.
1 Comments:
wow! The blue in those pictures...I can almost feel the air on my face.
Keystone was the first resort that I skied, too! I think I'll always have a fondess for keystone.
Post a Comment
<< Home