Thursday, April 17, 2008

Winter in the Rockies 2007-2008: A-Basin

A-Basin has a great vibe going. There are few better places to ski on a warm sunny day. That was the type of day when I chose to visit this resort near "the Moose". Unfortunately, it was also quite windy.



A-Basin has such a high elevation, that the snow is usually good even on warm days. The views in any direction are also fairly spectacular. Above is looking toward Lake Dillon, Buffalo Mountain, and "the Moose". I'm standing at the top of the Pallavicini lift, home to some of the most difficult double black diamond expert only runs in Summit County. I did not ski down in that direction!



Instead, I made my way to the top and down the newly opened back side of A-Basin called the Montezuma Bowl (above). This new expansion nearly doubles the terrain at A-Basin. The views were great. Above one can see not only runs at Keystone, but also runs all the way over in Breckenridge. Being south facing, the snow was not so great. The wind was also quite a challenge. I could barely stand upright while at the top of the bowl. I think the best time to ski this wide open back bowl would be in snowy conditions. I imagine it can get pretty deep.


After exploring Montezuma Bowl, I retreated back to the less windy front side (above) for a few more runs above timberline. I ended my day being tempted by the smells coming from the tailgaters down on the sunny "beach" portion of the parking lot. For laid back fun, it is hard to beat A-Basin on a warm sunny day.



1 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, April 28, 2008, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

At some point, you need to put an arrow on one of these pictures as to the exact location of the "moose."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home