Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Spring! ...In NYC

I just got back from a quick weekend to NYC. My two sisters and I decided to have a mini reunion and NYC sounded like the most fun place to meet. We stayed up late talking; we had fabulous ethnic food (and desserts) every day; and we generally had a great time just walking around and hanging out.

The first day we went to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden at Prospect Park. All of the cherry trees were in bloom. It really was a sight for sore winter weary eyes.

The tulips did their best to draw attention away from the flowering trees. I also enjoyed the Japanese garden with its multiple textures and serene water features.

The air was chilly, but the sun was warm. I enjoyed strolling around just soaking up the sights and smells of spring for the first time this year.
After spending a few hours at the botanical garden and the much larger and less formal Prospect Park, we walked to Kiku specializing in "Japanese fusion cuisine". The sushi was like small delicate works of art with out of this world flavor combinations. Some of the rolls included fried banana, apples, and even jalapeno peppers. After dinner, we went to the Chocolate Room for some artisan chocolates. Then while hoofing it home, we stopped by Sweet Melissa to take out a chocolate souffle for later consumption.
The next day brought more clouds but warmer temperatures. We walked around the Carrol Garden and Cobble Hill neighborhoods in Brooklyn admiring the brownstones and ended up at Zaytoons for Middle Eastern cuisine. After that we walked over to Brooklyn Heights to stroll along the Brooklyn promenade which overlooks New York harbor, the Brooklyn bridge, the Statue of Liberty, and the lower tip of Manhattan island. Near the end of the promenade we indulged in homemade ice cream at the Blue Pig. Next we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan. Above is my "Blue Like Jazz" photo of the Brooklyn Bridge.

The Brooklyn Bridge ends up at NYC City Hall (above). We walked around lower Manhattan, saw the ground zero sight again, and then did a little shopping at the huge discount clothing store Century 21. As it was getting to be dusk, we took a taxi back to Brooklyn. That evening we went to the very popular (and rightly so) Joya for Thai food. My chicken, coconut, and portobello soup was exquisite.
As we were walking back home I realized that everything we had done over the weekend was within walking distance of my sister's home. There really is no need to own a car in NYC.
The next day (after getting some NYC style pizza for lunch) we all went back to our respective homes. Back in Wisconsin it had snowed a couple more inches over the weekend. But Spring really is coming... I think...

4 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, April 30, 2008, Blogger Achtung BB said...

That does look like a awesome weekend. I hope to make it to NYC some day. We've got a lot of Sushi around here. It is like a work of art.

 
At 1:12 AM, May 02, 2008, Blogger shakedust said...

Sounds like a nice long walk. I didn't realize you could walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and I definitely didn't realize all of that was in walking distance of Brooklyn.

 
At 12:06 PM, May 05, 2008, Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Good times!

 
At 2:42 PM, May 15, 2008, Blogger roamingwriter said...

I think I need to do your version of NYC. I've been and didn't really care if I got back but this sounds like a spectacular weekend.

It also sounds like even mr winter can get enough of it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home